In a previous writing I explained how you can create a navigation-menu that collects it’s information straight from a Notes View.
Using the ?ReadViewEntries URL command Notes outputs the view data in XML form which can be the source of a transformation to HTML using the XSLTProcessor in your browser.
When the project became actual again I found some time to improve it’s functionality, since it was not working 100% in Firefox. So here is an example available for downloading.
Here is short summary of the example’s features:
- the navigator collects it’s source data from a Notes view using the ReadViewEntries command
- when navigating through the menu for each subcategory (via the + and – icons) a new AJAX request is done to collect the information withing that (sub)category (so the amount of data is being divided into smaller parts)
- the information is being transformed into HTML via the build XSLTransformator of the browser
- when clicking on (sub)category a collection of responding documents is collected and presented in another frame
- the navigator also contains document links which will load the document info in the right frame when clicked
- documents can be grouped under whatever structure in the View
Very nice, I did not manage to solve 1 thing yet: if a (sub)category contains subcategories AND documents, the documents are being displayed FIRST. I rather would display the subcategories first and then the documents. Maybe you can help me with that one?