This action was already for a long long time on my desk but now I found some spare time finally.
Well I have prepared a demo and is available for download.
The application is tested on a local machine and I do not inted to give support on questions, but for improvement suggestions I am always open.
How to get started?
- download and unzip the demo to your Notes data directory
- if possible sign all design elements
- install the CardScan software and run through the installation process (including calibaration)
- 1 Note: depending on which version you are using but in the latest version (I believe they call it version 8) you have to disable the option that it the software should detect cards automatically.
- after the installation open the designated frameset for web-access in your browser and start testing!
I have updated the interface to a more modern look, inspired by the first screenshots that where available for Quickr (I believe). Mostly the application is being used on shows so a fancy design was very appreciated.
Yes even the database icon got some attention:
When opening the frameset you will be presented this screen:
In this screen you have 2 options, collect visitor information with or without use of the CardScan device. The logic behind it is that you can open 2 similar form, one has the webqueryopen event that initiates an agent that synchronize the fields CardScan has found on the business-card and the fields on the form.
This synchronisation can be done on the database profile document in the application. Here you can select which fields should be mapped:
Let’s continue with the process. After selecting an input device you will be presented a form, and if you selected to use the CardScan device the mapped fields will be filled in with information found on the business-card:
If a problem occured it will be presented to the screen as displayed in the example in red. There is a button available to scan the business-card again, in case there where problems with the first attempt.
We have noticed that the ‘hard light’ on some shows give problem with the scanning devices…
After filling in the information form a confirmation screen will be presented with a link to return to the startscreen:
So basically that’s it!
Some remarks after experience working with this solution:
- The hard light at some shows is really a problem, I do not know how to solve it. The only solution I have is not to place the scanner in the most lightest spot.
- According to CardScan support it is not possible to get the information into a different Notes application rather than the names.nsf file but you will see that it is possible.
- The code that is being used to make the call to the CardScan device is actually REALLY old. It dates from the period that CardScan was officially called Corex I believe. Allthough the versions (presentation?) for the scanning devices have changed the last period of years, the code is still working solid. Read the developerkit that is available (but cost money).
- Newer languages as Java probably have much better capabilities to talk with the CardScan device, but I am not a Java developer.
- The icons used are coming from free icons libraries.
Please let me know if you have found any technical improvement!
One final remark:
I have ‘collected’ some CardScan devices during the years of support, if you would be interested in one I figure we can come to a ‘nice price’.